Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The power of laughter....

I love to laugh. Laughing and having fun is one of my greatest joys in the world. Everyone who knows me will confirm that I enjoy telling jokes. In fact, if you can tell me a good joke, you’re my friend for life. If there’s a good comedy movie in town, I’m there.

Some of my most favorite people are those who I know I’ll share a laugh with and enjoy their sense of humor.

On the road to success, I believe you increase your chances incredibly if you’ve got a great sense of humor. Not only is a good laugh healthy for you physically; it’s also healthy for you emotionally. It creates a favorable bond with you and the people you share your humor with. If you want to make a positive first impression with someone, make sure you get them to smile or laugh in the first few minutes. Trust me on this one, it’ll get others on your side.

When I was growing up, I used to visit my cousins Howie and Michael in Toronto. Big Sam is their Dad, and he's an amazing man. Big Sam is the toy king of Canada. As a kid, I remember going to his warehouse and watching him sell. The man always had a smile on his face, and he made sure that when you were with him, you always had a smile on your face too. He could deliver a joke with the best of them, and he had an endless supply to keep you laughing. All the while, he was selling toys by the boatload. I always considered Big Sam the greatest salesman I’ve ever known.

My cousins Howie and Michael are the same way. They know how to have fun. They know how to make others laugh. They do it all the time. Maybe that’s why I love those guys so much, and why I always have a great time with them. Now that Big Sam is slowing down a little, the boys are managing their successful family business using the same MO Big Sam did.

So, how’s your sense of humor? Do you have a few good laughs everyday? Do you share a good laugh everyday? If you don’t, it’s time to lighten up a little and remember the value of laughing. And if you’ve got a great joke to share, I’d love to hear it.

Namaste.

Jeff

P.S. When I used to visit my cousins in Toronto, I got to know their gang of buddies. One of them ended up being my long time friend and mentor, T. Harv Eker of Peak Potentials Training. Strange how we make life connections huh? Harv is perhaps the only person I know who is a better marketer than Big Sam. That’s saying a lot.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff,
I think you'll find, if you haven't already, that I come up with a good one every know and then. I enjoy the laughter as well.
Jeff

12:21 PM  
Blogger Larry E. said...

Laughter a day is as good as an apple.
Both keep the doc away.
Larry E.

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good reminder. A couple of minor business setbacks yesterday just grayed my mood.

Not exactly a joke, but this bumper sticker always makes me smile:

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK.

Jon

8:50 AM  
Blogger Howard said...

Funny issue for me honestly cuz I am known with everyone I work with as a guy who rarely laughs. As long as it's sincere, it's a good thing. I hate dealing with people who are, for lack of a better term "shmulzty" because they appear very insincere. I guess, as with most things, there is the fine line we have to watch. Still, the point is well taken, a few laughs during the day definately helps everyone and increases the personal level of the working relationships we are trying to build.

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laughter is part of everyday. I have never knew a person who laughs a lot to be a negative person.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home