Monday, November 07, 2005

Nice guys do finish first.....

Have you ever heard the expression “Nice guys finish last”? I’ve heard it numerous times over the years, and it got to the point where I actually started to believe it.

But my faith has been restored, because I know that nice guys do succeed.

In 1999, I was working for a major national bank with a huge presence in Arizona. They even named a ballpark after this bank. And I had the incredible fortune to be working for an amazing man who was the best manager of people I’ve ever known.

Dave Murray was a tremendous individual to work with. Not only was he technically proficient in the areas of his responsibilities, he was an example of how a professional should manage his staff. Dave was always available to those he managed. He had a calm demeanor that never got rattled. He knew how to get things done, and moreover, he knew how to get the best out of his people. He took the time to get to know you, and to show genuine interest in you and your life.

For 4 years, Dave was my leader, my mentor, and the lessons I learned from him about managing people and dealing with challenges were invaluable. Eventually, I left the bank to move on to Peak Potentials Training, but I always made it a point to stay in contact with Dave after I left.

Just a few months ago, I called Dave to touch base, and he told me he was leaving the bank. He had accepted a job as the Executive Pastor and Chief Operating Officer for North Phoenix Baptist Church, a popular Church with a huge congregation.

During our time together, Dave had frequently told me about his love for the ministry, and I knew that he routinely went to Church camp in New Mexico to volunteer his time. So, I wasn’t at all surprised that he chose to go in this direction.

A couple of weekends ago, my wife Sue handed me an article in the Arizona Republic highlighting Dave Murray in his new position at the Church.

The article gave a glowing report of Dave, with quotes from members of the congregation. Of course, this came as no surprise to me at all. I could have predicted it. Dave is the right person in the right place at the right time. And there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever in my mind that North Phoenix Baptist Church is lucky to have Dave on board with them. He will do a fantastic job.

Dave is one of the nicest people I have ever known. He stands for everything I believe is important in life. Reading the article in the Republic made me proud of my relationship with him. And he is proof positive that nice guys do finish first.

Way to go Dave! It couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

Namaste.

Jeff

3 Comments:

Blogger Larry E. said...

Nice statement from a nice guy about Dave.
Larry E.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Howard said...

There is often a fine line between being a tough business person and a immoral one. Being nice does not mean being soft and being tough should not mean being without a good moral code.We have to be very careful about the labels we use out there.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story. He would do great in any position he wanted.

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home