Thursday, November 03, 2005

Your Personal Mission Statement...

"People with goals succeed because they know where they are going. It's as simple as that." - Earl Nightingale

The highest achievers in any field view themselves as self-employed. They have the attitude that they run their own business, even if they are affiliated with a major corporation. And so they develop a sense of “mission” about their career, taking a proactive approach to create the results they want. And their Mission Statement guides them.

This is in contrast with "average" people, who view themselves as employees and react to the ups and downs of the economy. Top producers take charge. They take full responsibility for fulfilling their Mission, regardless of market conditions. They realize that they can't wait until external factors, like the marketplace, get better ... but that THEY must get better if they intend to achieve their goals.

Which group do you want to be in -- the top 3% of achievers or the 97% of "average" people? Your Personal Mission Statement and clearly defined goals with timelines attached are the difference.

A Mission Statement is:
• a hand written or typed out paragraph
• posted someplace you can see it regularly
• committed to memory
• has specific, measurable outcomes
• has a deadline -- for example, December 31st.

A Mission Statement is defined as having goals and a deadline. This is opposed to the notion that a Mission Statement is just a bunch of flowery, general phrases like, "I will be the best producer I can be." It's no wonder that a lot of people have this type of Mission Statement sitting in their desk drawer!

A much more powerful Mission Statement would state:
“My purpose is to help my company double sales this year. I plan on accomplishing this goal by devoting one hour a week to learning a new skill in sales and negotiating offers, and then applying what I’ve learned to the deals I’m currently involved in with my company. If I do this faithfully, in one year from now, I will advance in my career because my ability to increase sales for the company I work for will be more valuable than it is now.”

Perhaps the best example of a public Mission Statement was made back in 1960, when John F. Kennedy, referring to the U.S. space program, said that we would put a man on the moon by the end of the decade — a clear goal with a specific timeline for its achievement. And, despite enormous challenges, by mid-1969, Neil Armstrong had taken that "one large step for mankind."

Anyone can easily create a Mission Statement.

You must base your goals upon your Mission Statement. If you've created your Mission according to the process above, you'll now have "big" goals to achieve by one year from today. From there, you'll need to break them down into quarterly, monthly and even weekly goals. Stephen Covey has a great quote in his book, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. In it, he says: "If you don't set your goals based upon your Mission Statement, you may be climbing the ladder of success only to realize, when you get to the top, you're on the WRONG BUILDING." Amen!

Now, start today, by creating your Personal Mission Statement and set your quarterly, monthly, and weekly goals accordingly.

Namaste.

Jeff

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff,
I hadn't really considered a personal mission statement until about 4-5 months ago during a class that I attended. This is the second time I have been confronted with that topic.

I'm now working on a personal mission statement.

Jeff

7:48 PM  
Blogger Larry E. said...

Mission statements are common to companies. I agree, we should run ourselves like a productive business, mission statement inclusive.
Larry E.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Howard said...

People in many arenas are often, too often, saying they are on the so called mission. It is overused very much like the word awesome. Few things in life are awesome.
Yet, when used properly, actually being on a life mission. People are afraid to be specific because they are either afraid to do the work or are just unsure of what to do. This is another great step in pushing forward.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I view my life as a mission. I have set them for my career and in my personal life. I need to break them down according to the months and weeks. It does give you direction and a satisfaction of achievement when you reach your goals.

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home