Sunday, October 29, 2006

What an Inspiration....

Do you ever see something extraordinary that has a deep impact on you?

Normally, I’m not much of a TV watcher. Too many other things to do.

But I saw an interview with Michael J. Fox that was truly inspiring.

I hadn’t seen him in a very long time. To watch him sitting in his chair during the interview was disturbing at first. Michael was twitching and jerking constantly, the results of his Parkinson’s disease.

Talk about someone who had it all.

Fame. Fortune. A beautiful family. Millions of fans. Good looks. Bright.

If anyone had it made, it sure seemed like Michael did.

His disease took over his body at a very young age. When we think of Parkinson's, we generally think of an old person’s disease.

In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone as young as Michael with such an advanced case of this affliction.

The interview showed clips of what he has been up to since retiring from television. He’s been busy raising awareness of Parkinson’s at a tireless pace.

But the thing that stood out to me the most was when the interviewer asked Michael if he looked to his future with worry or trepidation.

Without hesitation, Michael’s response revealed a side to this person I had never known.

Michael responded that he was excited and optimistic about his future.

He said that if it was his fate to raise public awareness about Parkinson’s then he was thrilled to have that opportunity. And that if his efforts were able to speed up a cure for this disease, then all of the challenges he faces were no big deal at all.

What an incredible attitude. What an amazing person.

If anyone had a reason to cry out….why me? Michael did.

But he isn’t looking for any pity. He took the challenges life has handed him, and just continues to look at life with faith and hope and optimism.

We all have a tendency to wallow in our own self pity when things don’t go well for us.

Imagine if you had it all, and a terrible disease overtook your body. How would you respond?

In my books, I have a new respect for this man I never had before.

Michael J. Fox is a winner. He’s an extraordinary human being, who has accepted the hand he’s been dealt and continues to live his life to the fullest.

He is a true hero to me.

And he reminds me that no matter how crummy things are at times, that how you respond to life is far more important than what happens to you.

As I’ve said before on this blog, I believe that 10% of life is what happens to you, and 90% of life is how you respond.

So the next time crap happens in your life, think about Michael. You can sit down and cry about it, or you can have the attitude of a winner.

You decide how you’re going to respond. No one else.

Here’s to Michael. I hope he lives a long and healthy life.

Namaste.

Jeff

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Evans said...

Jeff,
I've been in this situation before, and I know exactly how I'd act.

I'm here, I'm still alive, and I'm excited.
Jeff

6:37 PM  
Blogger Larry E. said...

TV isn't all bad. Nice response to a quality human.
Larry E.

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is nice to see how you can look at life. Stay positive.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home